Game mottos appear on the top right corner of the login page.
The usual mottoes include:
- 50% less fat than other superhero games.
- A hero is as a hero does, sir.
- A long night's journey into day.
- A nightly slice off vice.
- Carpe noctem! (Seize the night.)
- Crime picked the wrong night to fight.
- Crime-free for 0 days.
- Does this spandex make me look fat?
- Don't listen to Tina Turner. We do need another hero.
- Elemental heroes never die, they just lose their spark.
- Fighting for truth, justice, and a bottomless cup of coffee.
- Gadgeteer heroes: whoever dies with the most toys, wins.
- Gamma-testing and proud!
- Keeping the criminals clean and the streets behind bars.
- Meticulously constructed ... Ingenious, funny, and advertising-free.
- -PC Gamer magazine
- My other job is fighting crime.
- My other shirt is a cape.
- Now saving more than cheerleaders and worlds.
- Now with 20% more battlecries and catchphrases!
- One million heroes strong ... in 2075!
- Only you can prevent forest fires, car fires, and arson.
- Think one person can change the world? With tie-dyed pajamas and a baseball bat, so do we.
- When the sun goes down, evil gets its comeuppance.
- When there's nothing else, superheroes float.
- Who needs sleep anyway?
- With great power comes great super. Huh?
- During the period leading to November 2009 the motto was temporarily replaced with a countdown to the "Thirty Days of Twilight". From October 21st 2009 to October 26th, the motto read:
- Thirty Days of Twilight begins in 10 days.
The number was changed to 5 on October 27th, to 4 on the 28th and to 1 on the 31st. On November 1st the motto was replaced by:
- Thirty Days of Twilight begins today!
And on November 2nd it changed to:
- Thirty Days of Twilight begins yesterday!
On November 3rd things went back to normal.
- Before retcon was released September 29th 2010 and the game proceeded to gamma testing, that motto read
- Beta-testing and proud!
- On June 28th 2011, the motto was:
- 1337 days of Twilight Heroes since beta, and still counting.
- "Only you can prevent forest fires" was Smokey Bear's message until 2001.
- "truth, justice, and a bottomless cup of coffee" is a play on Superman's Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
- The "with great power" line is a play on Spider-Man's with great power comes great responsibility.
- "Carpe noctem!" is a play on Carpe diem (Seize the day), a phrase from a Latin poem by Horace.
- "My other shirt is a cape" and "My other job is fighting crime" are plays on the bumper sticker "My other car is a ...."
- "Now saving more than cheerleaders and worlds" refers to TV series Heroes catchphrase, Save the cheerleader, save the world.
- "A hero is as a hero does" refers to a saying from the movie Forrest Gump "Stupid is as stupid does".
- The "Elemental heroes never die" line refers to Douglas MacArthur's, farewell address to Congress, "Old soldiers never die; they just fade away..."
- "A long night's journey into day" refers to Eugene O'Neill's play Long Day's Journey into Night.
- The "Don't listen to Tina Turner" line refers to Tina Turner's song We Don't Need Another Hero.
- "Thirty Days of Twilight" refers to Twelve Days of Christmas.