Red Ring of Death
|Red Ring of Death|
You are fighting a Red Ring of Death.
"Open," you say. "Open the pod bay doors."
An eerie voice replies,
"I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
You try to reply that you're not Dave, but the sudden lack of oxygen is causing you some problems.
Your opponent attacks ...
- The ring charges at you. You tried not to look, but now you've seen it, and are destined to die within the week. Or, you know, right now.
- The ring glows brighter and bricks the console. And then bricks you, right upside the head.
- You attempt to get rid of the ring by appealing to the console warranty, but you go unconsoled.
It hits you for X damage.
Critical hit message:
Your opponent has a critical hit! It hits you for X damage.
- The ring tries to kill you by making you see it, but that only works in movies.
- You block with your red right hand. I guess it was just a tiny little cog.
- You trick the ring into complacence by singing it a song about flowers. Or a girl named after a flower. You don't really know what that song is about, but it works.
Your foe fumbles! It takes X damage.
Victory! You beat up your foe and win the combat!
You gain 10 experience.
Verified to have no resistances or weaknesses.
- Occurs when you choose "open" on There's a Blog.Org for This.
- Although this foe is an A.R.F. foe, it cannot be destroyed with a degausser.
|This enemy is a robot with an electronic brain.|
- This enemy is named after Red Ring of Death, a notorious Xbox 360 technical failure .The image also resembles an Xbox 360 power button which is where it is normally seen.
- The description refers to HAL 9000 from Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey saga.
- The song referred to in the third miss message is Daisy Bell, which HAL sings when it is disconnected.
- The first hit and miss messages refer to the Japanese film Ring, or its American remake The Ring.
- The second miss message refers to Nick Cave's song Red Right Hand which ends with the words: "You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan/Designed and directed by his red right hand".
- The second hit message refers to bricking, as in ruining your game console in such a way that it is as useful as a brick.