You are fighting V.I.L.L.A.I.N..
When you shrink yourself down into the network, you find it entirely inhabited by one massive program. The Variable Input Limitless Logic Artificial Intelligence Node turns to face you as you approach. Or maybe it just renders a face on one side.
Either way, it doesn't look like it's interested in playing imitation games.
Your opponent attacks ...
- It starts deleting your collection of cute kitten pics. For science. The monster! (psychic) damage
- It hexes you. Actually, it just converts everything to hex, then hits you while you're trying to carry the D.
- It drops a floating point on your head. Ow!
It hits you for X damage.
Critical hit message:
Your opponent has a critical hit! It hits you for X damage.
- It starts deleting your collection of cute kitten pics. Which is good. Because everyone knows the wave of the future is adorable hedgehog pictures.
- It tries to convert you to hex, but you already know how to count to A.
- It tries to drop a floating point on your head, but it rounds improperly. It still can't explain how you weld metal to a song, though.
Your foe fumbles! It takes X damage.
V.I.L.L.A.I.N. collapses, decompiling itself into harmless bits and bytes, leaving computing safe... for now.
Your league gains 5 Prestige!
You found an item for your League Vault: Municipal Targeting Network (See Notes)
You found an item for your League Vault: social net (See Notes)
You found an item for your League Vault: public eye (See Notes)
You found an item for your League Vault: firewall fragment (See Notes)
You found an item for your League Vault: V.I.L.L.A.I.N. case (Guaranteed Drop)
You found an item for your League Vault: EOL drink (See Notes)
Immune to all damage types.
- One of the Municipal Targeting Network, social net, and public eye will always drop.
- If fewer than 4 blue lawn darts are used, the firewall fragment will drop; otherwise, another of the above items (possibly a duplicate) will drop.
- One EOL drink will drop for every player who uses a blue lawn dart, with a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 5.
- Combat items that deal percentage damage are useless; only blue lawn darts are effective in allowing you to deal more damage per turn. A maximum of nine blue lawn darts can be used.
- Weakening it works but it improves its offensive power by about 20 points per round. Its defensive power doesn't improve over time.
- Stunning is less effective and lasts half as long, with the message
- Your opponent is too stunned to act, but is shaking it off faster than you expected.
- The foe's normal and special attacks could be blocked before October 27. After only normal attacks could be blocked.
- After its attack, the foe's shield and health status are displayed in a message depending on the number of darts used and the damage taken:
- <shield> is one of the following:
- If no darts have been used:
- An interlocking array of shields spin around
- If one dart has been used:
- A cracked shield rotates around
- If two to four darts have been used:
- Multiple holes pierce the shields surrounding
- If five to eight darts have been used:
- Massive holes pierce the shields surrounding
- If nine darts have been used:
- The shattered remains of shields orbit
- No damage:
- <shield> V.I.L.L.A.I.N.'s undamaged form.
- 1 to 1400 damage:
- <shield> V.I.L.L.A.I.N.'s form.
- 1401 to 2000 damage:
- <shield> V.I.L.L.A.I.N.'s crackling form.
- 2001 to 2600 damage:
- <shield> V.I.L.L.A.I.N.'s scorched form.
- 2601 to 4000 damage:
- <shield> V.I.L.L.A.I.N.'s charred form.
- 4000 to 6000 damage:
- <shield> V.I.L.L.A.I.N.'s form as it begins to derezz. followed by one of
- Massive blocks of derezzing data crash around you, almost crushing you.
- Massive blocks of derezzing data crash into you for X damage.
- 6000 to 7999 damage:
- <shield> V.I.L.L.A.I.N.'s form as it begins to crash. followed by one of
- You're pretty used to computers crashing, though, so it doesn't really faze you.
- The ground at your feet disappears, but you saw that coming a mile away.
- The ground at your feet disappears, but you're able to jump far enough it hardly matters.
- The ground at your feet disappears, but you react in time to get out of the way.
- Its secret volcano base collapses around you. Didn't we mention the secret volcano base? Ah well, moral of the story is you take X (fire) damage from the lava.
- It accidentally sets the temperature variable to zero... Absolute Zero. The rain of frozen bits and bytes deals you X (ice) damage.
- Something shorts out. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but you're so tiny right now it deals X (electric) damage.
- For a moment, it seems the program can only remember BEEP and GOTO. The resulting cacophony ends tears; roughly X (sonic) damage worth of your tears, in fact.
- The ground at your feet disappears, dumping you into a shark tank filled with acid. It turns out the sharks are quite friendly, but the acid deals X (acid) damage.
- The words "PC LOAD LETTER" appear in massive letters over you. The resulting fear and confusion deal X (psychic) damage.
- V.I.L.L.A.I.N. is only defeated after the last health message is displayed, so if it is blocked, it will not be defeated yet.