C.H.I.P.S. (Casino Heroes Investigate Purported Scandal)
Return to Quests.
0.When you reach level 5 the following appears in your journal:
Time for a Check-In ...
You get this feeling that there's more going on out there in the big city than you know about yet. Maybe now would be a good time to check in with Rand and see what he knows.
1. Visiting the Twilight Police Department after reaching level 5 will initiate this quest with the following text:
"You ready for something a little more serious?" Rand asks.
"Sure, what's going on?"
"We've gotten a couple of anonymous tips that something's going on at the Golden Wooden Nickel casino. Nothing particularly solid, but it sounds like the mafia may have some operations there. Money laundering, something like that. Probably something in the back of the house, where it's discreet. We don't have enough to go on, but if you could sneak back there you might be able to find something."
You nod and say you'll see what you can do.
You will then find the following message in your Journal:
Rand has asked you to check out the seedy casinos. He thinks the mafia may be using the back of the house to launder money. First you've got to find the back of the house.
Rand has asked you to check out the seedy casinos. He thinks the mafia may be using the back of the house to launder money. You've got a key card from a VIP guest, but it's heavily encrypted and you don't know where to use it. Maybe if you could decrypt it you could get enough information about the casino to find the right location.
(Note to self: A computer might end up being necessary here. If you don't have a computer yet, the electronics store might have some useful instructions. Wait, why am I writing in the third person?)
3. Get a computer installed in your Computer Lab. This removes the second line mentioned above from your log.
Only a Gadgeteer can make a positronic computer, and it is very expensive and requires components that cannot be acquired at your level. Unless you pulled one from deep storage from a previous retcon then you should just get an Electronic computer instead. To make an electronic computer:
- Go to Aaron's All-Night Electronics at University Heights and buy:
- Get 1 data plate (drop only). This can actually drop at the Casino or Golden Wooden Nickel Casino itself from a guardian orb. Or you can get it from City of Lost Robots.
- Get 2 memory tube (drop only). This can actually drop at the Casino but the chances are low, it is easier to get it from City of Lost Robots.
- Get 2 electronic cabling. You might be able to buy them at the Black Market for 200 chips each. Or they can drop in City of Lost Robots with pretty decent odds.
- Get 1 power converter. odds are you already got one from the city of lost robots when farming the previous items. But if not you can buy it at Aaron's for 75 chips or keep farming at the city of lost robots.
- Get 1 nanoprocessor. odds are you already got one from the city of lost robots when farming the previous items. But if not you can buy it at Aaron's for 200 chips or keep farming at the city of lost robots.
- Once you have all items, use the electronic computer instructions in your inventory to assemble the machine. Then go to your hideout to install your computer in your computer lab. Then use Vlad's Decryptonomicon software from your inventory to install that unto the computer.
Note: step 3 can be done earlier, in fact it can be done before the quest was even started, in which case it will be skipped automatically after you finish step 2. It might actually be a good idea to do it as the first step of this quest since the City of Lost Robots is a lower level zone and thus would be easy to fight in. By finishing that lower level zone first you will be closer to leveling up to level 6 which would make the casino much easier.
4. Decrypt the heavily encrypted swipe card with Vlad's Decryptonomicon software for 45 minutes on an electronic computer, or 30 minutes with a positronic computer. This updates the message in your Journal to:
Rand has asked you to check out the seedy casinos. He thinks the mafia may be using the back of the house to launder money. You've got a key card from a VIP guest, but it's heavily encrypted and you don't know where to use it. Maybe if you could decrypt it you could get enough information about the casino to find the right location. You've got the card partway decrypted but need to keep working at it.
Rand has asked you to check out the seedy casinos. He thinks the mafia may be using the back of the house to launder money. You've got a key card from a VIP guest, and you've managed to extract some room numbers and general location information from the card. You ought to be able to find your way to the right general location now.
You've unlocked the back of the house. What are you waiting for? Go get them!
You've found a suspicious door deep in the back of the house, and you suspect it's a mafia storeroom. Unfortunately, it's locked. What, again?
You've got a key. You know where the store room is. What are you waiting for?
9. Go to the Storeroom and defeat counsel Harry. The following message will be updated in your Journal:
You've broken into the mafia store room, beaten the boss, and called in the police to confiscate the dirty, dirty money. Looks like that's a wrap. Might as well fill Rand in on the details.
10. Visit the Twilight Police Department to get the text:
You give Rand a brief overview of your exploits at the casino. He seems impressed with your innovation. Then you remember something. Clearing your throat you mention the money you took from counsel Harry. It's a big enough amount you're not sure if it should be returned.
"Nah, don't worry about it," Rand says.
You look at him for a second, trying to figure out how to read him.
Rand smiles. "No, I'm not encouraging you to steal. You actually earned it. There was a $2000 reward for Harry's capture. We owed you the money anyway."
At that point a middle-aged man walks over to Rand's desk and you decide maybe it's time to leave, but he shouts "You!" and points an accusing finger in your direction. "I'm Michael Ace, owner of the casino you just trashed. You owe me big!"
Not clicking "continue" updates the Journal message to:
Uh-oh. Looks like you've pissed off Michael Ace, owner of the Golden Wooden Nickel Casiono. I'm not quite sure why you left in the middle of talking with him, but that seems kind of cowardly. You ought to face him down like a real hero.
11. Click "continue", or visit the Twilight Police Department again to get the text:
"Look, mister," you say, "I didn't trash the casino. I barely made a mess of one room, and even that wouldn't have happened if the mafia hadn't been there in the first place. The police did more of the damage than I did."
Michael Ace looks at you, then glances over at Rand, and seems to calm slightly, though his teeth remain clenched. "The casino is my property, and I'm not about to have some vigilante running through its halls, terrorizing my guests. I can accept the police coming in to stop the mafia--I had no idea they'd infiltrated my staff and were using the back room--but I would have cooperated completely if asked. The whole operation could have proceded smoothly and quietly, rather than in public. I can't have near disasters disturbing my guests and tarnishing my image. I lost a lot of business because of you and the mess you caused."
You shrug, unimpressed. "I did what I had to. I'd do it again. My goal is to protect innocent people, and I'm not going to stop and ask if it's okay before I put someone in jail who deserves to be there."
Ace turns red, and for a second you think he's about to hit you. After a moment he growls through clenched teeth, "Consider yourself warned. I will not put up with your antics at the expense of my business. If we meet again I'm going to make sure it's you who ends up in jail."
Then Ace turns and strides off, leaving you staring at his back. You consider shouting something snarky at him as he leaves, but a part of you realizes that Ace is justifiably angry.
Rand says, "Don't mind him, kid. If I had a penny for every person who got angry at me for enforcing the law ..." he trails off. "Anyway, I've got good news. I got promoted! I'll be working at the downtown office from now on. Stop in and say hi when you get a chance."
This completes the quest. The following message is added to the Completed Quests section of your journal:
Well, you've shut down a mafia money-laundering operation. That's good! You kind of made a mess of the casino where the mafia was used. That's bad. The police think you did something pretty heroic. That's good! But the owner of the casino, Michael Ace, is furious with you, and you may have made an enemy for life. (That's bad.)
Entering Twilight Police Department again you get:
You walk into your local precinct, looking for Rand. Carmichael, one of the officers who never really believed you had any powers, looks up from his newspaper, "What are you doing here? Rand got promoted, remember? Go bother him Downtown, why don't'cha?" You mutter under your breath and leave the station.